- Bamboo steamer
- Pot/Wok that the steamer will fit on top of
- Food-safe & heat-safe cloth sack that the rice will go in
- Thai Sweet Rice (glutinous) about .5 cup uncooked per serving.
- A lot of water
- Coconut Milk (optional)
- Lemongrass (optional)
- Wash and rinse rice until water runs nearly clear
- Soak rice in room temp water for at least 4 hours (up to 12 hours)
- A small amount of coconut milk or can be added to the water
- Drain rice and pour into a cheesecloth or hemp sack and place on a bamboo steamer (above a pot/wok of boiling water of course).
- Steam rice for ~20-30 minutes.
- You can place a few smashed stems of Lemongrass in the steamer basket below the rice sack
This recipe assumes you don’t have a traditional Thai bamboo steaming cone. Because if you did, you probably don’t need to read this 🙂Love, Jimi