“When life gives you bread, you should put cheese on it. And how April Bloomfield marries cheese and toast, no man, woman or child will want to come between the two. Oh and there’s Guinness involved. Here she is making Welsh Rarebit: the most delicious cheese on toast you’ll ever eat in your whole entire life.” The following is a recipe from April Bloomfield, one of the most kick-ass chefs on her side of the pond.
Edits by Jimi
- A knob of butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup (200ml) Guinness
- Long splash of Worcestershire (pronounced Wurshter or Worster) sauce
- 1 lb. grated (450g) mature, strong cheddar cheese like red Leicester (pronounced Lester; The English like to make really long words and then tell entire syllables to fuck right off)
- 4 pieces thick-cut and properly browned toast (a good crusty bread)
- If you use Wonder Bread, I will find you.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour.
- Cook until mixture starts to turn a light brown (a blonde roux).
- Pour in the Guinness in a slow, steady stream and whisk as you go, to avoid lumps.
- Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer.
- Add the grated cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Once smooth, remove from the heat, pour into a shallow container and allow to set.
- Once set, spread the mixture onto each piece of toast, and place in the oven under the broiler setting.
- Cook until the cheese is bubbling and starts to get golden brown in some parts. Serve immediately.
Add a fried egg on top and it’s called Buck Rarebit, or “Where the bloody-hell has this been all my life?”Love, Jimi
- Worcestershire is one of those sauces that you should always have in your rack. It has a half life of uranium and is so tedious to make properly that it’s just worth buying it. Think of it as a European version of fish sauce – it’s bottled umami.
- Original recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hulufrkljiQ