AKA: Jimi’s Irish Tacos
Ingredients / Directions
- Pick the right floury (high starch) variety: Idaho Russet
- Prick the skin with a fork 3x each on two sides.
- Do NOT wrap in foil.
- Bake in a hot (425F/200C) oven for 90 minutes or so, directly on the rack.
- For the perfect skin, you want it almost burned
- Cut in half and mash the contents with butter, salt and pepper, then top with some cheese (whatever kind blows your hair back)
- I mean you could get all whacky and add brunoise shallots and leek to the “meat” if you want. I’m not gonna judge.
- Like, you know… if you just happened to take some soft-peak whipped egg whites and folded them with the cooled potato meat in a separate bowl, and then put it all back and proceeded from there, I totally would not piss on your parade.
- Put back in the oven for about five to ten minutes depending on just how try-hard you went with the above.
- This is where the magic happens, the skin and flesh start to separate, take on a nutty flavor and the skin gets a dry crunchy texture. It’s like witnessing the miracle of childbirth.
- LOLWTF, it is nothing like childbirth, and this is not making people hungry.
- Take out of the oven and put on your cold toppings (sour cream, horsey sauce, cooked bacon, chives, etc.)
“Other than committing carbocide, this actually has the potential to be a one-course meal. Did I say potential? LOL, we eat this shit for dinner on the reg.”– Love, Jimi