PREP ~30 mins | COOK 4-8 hrs
- A sharp knife 🙂
- 1 corned beef brisket (with spice packet)
- 4 large carrots split and cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 parsnips and/or 1 turnip cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 yellow onion, stemmed and quartered
- 8-10 small red or Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp 3-peppercorn medley
- 1 small firm head of green cabbage, stemmed and cored, cut into 2” chunks
- 1 Bottle of Guinness Draft or Bass Beer (stout will over-power it)
- Enough water to cover
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, place the brisket on top of the vegetables, then pour in the beer and water.
- Add the spice packet to the liquid, and cover.
- Cook the brisket for about 8hrs on low or ~4hr on high.
- With 1 hour left add the cabbage and cook for 1hr.
Bonus Round: Get some Thousand Island Dressing, Rye Bread and Sauerkraut to make Reuben sammies with leftovers.For Jen
- You don’t need to cook the veg in the pot, you could get all crazy and pan-roast the veg with just a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper for about 20-30min @ 350F. Braise the roast with just the liquid and spice pack, it’ll be good when brought together.
- Highly recommend horseradish sauce to go with this, but some prefer a strong English or German mustard.