“Put on your pickle-helm and get in loser, we’re gonna– Some German, Probably
invade a continentput some comically large meat in our mouth.”
- 3-5 German brats (any Bavarian sausage will work)
- 2 c sauerkraut (1 jar of Aunt Bubbie’s), drained, reserve 1/2 cup juice
- 1-2 pounds red potatoes (or fingerlings)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Brussels sprouts, peel outer leaves, cut into halves if large
- 1-2 bottles Ayinger Oktoberfest or Celebratore – Available in autumn. (Hefeweizen or Pilsner works, too)
- 2 juniper berries, crushed
- 4-6 caraway seeds
- 1-2 T dried parsley
- Fresh Cracked Pepper (Medley)
- Healthy knobs (hee-hee) of butter
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters (bite size) and boil until half cooked.
- In an Pan on medium heat add 1-2 TBS of butter and sear brats on both sides
- Remove from pan. Rest for 5 minutes and cut on bias into 1/2″ medallions.
- Caramelize onions in (OMG another??) 1-2 tablespoons butter.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant, do not burn.
- Deglaze with beer (amount depends on taste) then add kraut, brats, sprouts, potatoes, kraut juice.
- Season with parsley, pepper, salt, caraway and juniper. bring to a simmer, cover, reduce to medium-low for 10-15 minutes (until the brats and potatoes are cooked through).