- 1/2 C butter (8Tbs)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup vodka (good stuff that you would use for shots – see recommendations)
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley (1 T if dried)
- 2 T fresh basil, chiffonade (1 T dried)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion in butter until slightly brown and soft.
- Pour in vodka, deglaze and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix in crushed tomatoes & herbs and stir and cook for 30 minutes.
- If you like your sauce extra smooth, use an immersion blender before you add the cream.
- Pour in heavy cream and cook for another 30 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary, you don’t want to burn the cream.
- Start salting it until you get it right.
- You can finish your pasta in here and then plate with a little more chiffonade basil.
- Cook your seafood and mix in separately – cooked seafood in the sauce will shorten the shelf-life considerably.
- Refrigerate for a week, freeze for a month
- Works very well with most pasta dishes, especially seafood and other light meat
- Mushroom medley if doing vegetarian
Don’t underestimate mushrooms. The right mix, properly cooked, can come very close to seafood in flavor and mouthfeel.Love, Jimi
- Tomatoes: San Marzano
- Vodka: Ultimat, Effin, Grey Goose
- Mushroom: Oyster, shitake